Font size control
The Royal Irish Constabulary and Dublin Metropolitan Police Killed in Action during and afther the Easter Rising.

The Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) and Dublin Metropolitan Police suffered many causalities in the fighting during the 1916 Rising. The list below contains information relating to these men, the official list of causalities gives the number as:

  • RIC Officers 2
  • RIC Other Ranks 12
  • DMP 4

District Inspector Harry Smyth

District Inspector Harry Smyth aged 41 killed at Ashbourne Co. Meath, he had served with the R.I.C. for 16 years.

SurnameFirst NameRankAgePlace of DeathCountyLength of Service
GrayAlexanderCounty Inspector57AshbourneCo. Meath33 Years
ShanagherJohnSergeant48 AshbourneCo. Meath25 Years
YoungJohnSergeant42 AshbourneCo. Meath19 Years
HickeyJamesConstable49 AshbourneCo. Meath25 Years
GormleyJamesConstable25 AshbourneCo. Meath 3 Years
McHaleRichardConstable22 AshbourneCo. Meath3 Years
ClearyJamesConstable28 AshbourneCo. Meath6 Years
WhelanPatrickConstable34CarnmoreGalway (W R8 Years
RourkeThomas FSergeant42LisvernaneTipperary (S R)22 Years
HurleyJohnConstable23 Lisvernane Tipperary (S R)3 Years
McGeeCharlesConstable23CastlebellinghamLouth3 Years
RoweWilliam NHead Constable49Coole LowerCork (ER)28 Years
MillerChristopherConstable29Dublin CityBelfast8 Years
Constable Miller was in Dublin attending the school of instruction for NCO at Portobello barracks. He was involved in the fighting at the South Dublin Union. he is buried in the Royal hospital Dublin.

Dublin Metropolitan Police
Constable James O’Brien

Constable James O’Brien number 168B, aged 45 with 21 years service he was shot while on duty at the Cork Hill entrance to Dublin Castle between 11am and 12 noon on Easter Monday by a Volunteer who rode up to the gate on a bicycle.
Constable Edward Dunphy
Constable Edward Dunphy DMP number 35C, he was taken prisoner by Sinn Fein Volunteers in the vicinity of Sackville Street and taken to the G.P.O. on the 24th of April. He was tied to a chair, on the 28th of April while escaping from the G.P.O. he was shot and wounded several times, he received wounds to the left hand and pellet wounds to the left cheek and forehead. The bullet wounds were treated in Jervis Street hospital and he was on sick report for 45 days. He was 44 years old and had served with the D.M.P. for 23 years. Edward Dunphy died three years later as a result of his wounds. On the 17th of May 1917 Edward Dunphy was awarded £10 worth of Certificates and Stock, on the 1917 official list for recipients of compensation he is described as ex-constable.

Constable William Frith
Constable William Frith, 174C, 37 old with over 17 years service, was shot through the head while in a bedroom of Store Street Police Station on the 27th of April.

Constable Michael Lahiff

Constable Michael Lahiff, number 125 B. 28 years old with 5 years service. He was shot while on duty in Stephen’s Green. He was shot by the Rebels at 12 noon on the 24th of April. He was hit 3 times before he collapsed. He was taken to the Meath Hospital where he died shortly after arrival.

Images: John O’Grady


Inspector John Mills aged 51 died as a result of injuries received when struck by a Hurley by a member of Fianna Éireann at a protest meeting outside the burnt-out remains of Liberty Hall. The incident happened on the 10th of June, Inspector Mills died the next day.

Inspector  Millis from Dysart, Co. Westmeath  joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police at the age of 20. He was promoted to Sergeant in 1901 to Station Sergeant in 1908 and finally to Inspector in 1916.

On 10 June 1917, Cathal Brugha and Count Plunkett led a group of around 2,000 Sinn Féin supporters into Beresford Place for a meeting called to protest against the detention and treatment of Easter Rising volunteers in Lewes Jail in East Essex, England. As Brugha began to address the crowd, Inspector John Mills and a detail of officers approached and declared the meeting illegal. Brugha and Plunkett ignored the order and scuffles broke out. The police attacked the crowd with batons and the two speakers were arrested. As Mills was escorting Brugha and Plunket to nearby Store Street Police Station, sections of the crowd tried to break the men free. In the struggle, Mills was hit over the head with a Hurley. This one blow proved fatal and he later died from his wounds in hospital.