Font size control


On Tuesday the 21st of January 1919 two members of the RIC were shot dead when a group of armed men ambushed at Soloheadbeg three miles from Tipperary. The RIC men were part of an escort for a cart load of explosives, the cart contained 160lbs of gelignite and thirty electric detonators. The two policemen were accompanied by Patrick Flynn, a Tipperary County Council employee and the cart driver Edward Godfrey, when they reached Denis Ryan’s gate about 150 yards from the quarry at Soloheadbeg they were stopped by a group of masked men. The two policemen killed were:

  • Constable James McDonnell aged about 50 years old and a native of Belmullet County Mayo. He was a widower with four children.

  • Constable Patrick O’Connell aged about 30 years old and a native of Coachford, County Cork.


Sunday the 30th of March 1919 John C. Milling, the Resident Magistrate Westport County Mayo, was shot and mortally wounded. After the shooting the area was declared a Military Area. Mr. Milling was shot and mortally wounded at his residence at about 11pm on Saturday night. It was reported locally that shot because he had sent I.R.A. Volunteers to prison for unlawful assembly and drilling. Milling was a retired R.I.C. District Inspector and was aged 46 when he was shot.


On 6 April 1919 the IRA tried to liberate Robert Byrne, who was under arrest and under police guard in the local hospital being treated for the effects of a hunger strike. In the rescue attempt Constable Martin O'Brien was fatally wounded and another policeman was seriously injured. Byrne was also wounded and died later on the same day.


On the 13th of May 1919 two members of the RIC were shot while escorting a prisoner by train, the train was attacked at Knocklong County Limerick. The two dead men were,

  • Constable Michael Enright aged 35 died instantly.

  • Sergeant Peter Wallace aged 47 mortally wounded died from wounds received on the 14th of May.


On Monday the 23rd of June 1919 R.I.C. District Inspector Michael Hunt was shot dead in Markey Square (Liberty Square) Thurles, County Tipperary. He was shot twice in the back the bullets travelling through his body vertically killing him instantly. It was later claimed Hunt was killed in a ‘gun battle’ with I.R.A. volunteers Jim Stapleton and James Murphy but any original accounts I have found of the incident describe it as a scuffle with few shots being fired.


On the 30th of July 1919 Detective-Sergeant Patrick Smith of the Dublin Metropolitan Police was shot near his home, 51 Millmount Avenue, Drumcondra, Dublin, he was 48 years old. The incident happened between 10.30pm and 11.30pm. Detective-Sergeant Patrick Smith received five bullet wound, most of the wounds were to the back of his body and some received when he turned to face his attacker.  


On Monday night 4th of August 1919 two RIC Policemen were ambushed at Ennistymon County Clare. The two policemen were cycling back to a protection hut when the attack happened, the two men were:

  • Constable Michael James Murphy, aged 20, died instantly when shot through the heart.

  • Sergeant John Riordan, a native of  Macroom County Cork aged 44 died from wounds received on the 5th of August.

Sergeant Riordan managed to return fire and from evidence found at the scene it was obvious that one of the attackers had been hit.


Constable Timothy Murphy died 22 August 1919 when he accidentally shot himself when he dropped the police revolver he was unloading. He was aged 33.


On the 2nd of September 1919 an RIC Sergeant, Philip Brady aged 48, was shot dead in an ambush close to the village of Lorrha County Tipperary. Sergeant Brady along with Constables Foley and McCormack were ambushed between the village and Carrigahorig where the road is bordered by a hedge on one side and a bog on the other. Sergeant Brady was killed outright and Constable Foley badly wounded. Sergeant Brady belonged to the County Fermanagh Force and had only arrived in Lorrha to take up duty on Friday last.


Image Des White

On the night of the 30th of July 1919 DMP Sergeant Patrick Smyth was shot and mortally wounded at Millmount Avenue, Drumcondra, County Dublin. He died in the Mater Hospital from his wounds on the 4th of September 1919. Sergeant Smyth was 52 years old and left a wife and seven children, the eldest being seventeen years old and the youngest being two years old.

It has been suggested that Sergeant Smyth was a Detective Sergeant and was shot on the orders of Michael Collins and that he was the first “G” man to be shot by the Squad. According to DMP records Smyth was a Sergeant and was next in line for promotion to Detective Sergeant but had not been promoted at the time of his death.


On the night of the 12th of September 1919 Detective Officer Daniel Hoey, 32 years old, was shot dead outside the Detective Office in Townsend Street Dublin. Detective Hoey joined the force in September 1910.


On Sunday the 18th of October 1919 DMP Constable Michael Downing was shot dead in High Street Dublin. In efforts to save the Constables life DMP Constable Neary was awarded the Special Services Cross by the British Red Cross for giving a pint of blood in an effort to save Constable Downing.


On the 31st of October 1919 Constable William Agar aged 37 was shot dead during a raid by the I.R.A. on the R.I.C. Barracks at Ballivor County Meath. Witnesses stated that the Barracks was attacked by about 14 men at approximately 10pm. Three I.R.A. Volunteers knocked on the front door of the Barracks one Volunteer giving the name of a local farmer and claiming cattle had been stolen. Constable Agar opened the door and the three men outside rushed in, constable Agar attempted to bar the door but was shot in the ensuing scuffle. One revolver and five rifles were taken in the raid. Constable William Agar is buried at St. Mary's Church in Rathvilly, he left a widow and one daughter.


On the evening of Saturday the 29th of November at about 6.10pm Detective Sergeant John Barton aged 39 of the Dublin Metropolitan Police was shot and mortally wounded as he walked along College Street near the Central Club. He was taken to Mercer’s Hospital where he died from his wounds soon after arrival. He joined the D.M.P. in 1903 and was attached to B Division for many years. He was with “G” Division at the time of is death. He was praised for his diligent detective work in apprehending looters during the 1913 lock-out and the 1916 Rising and for apprehending the man who attempted to murder a D.M.P. Constable on Christmas Day 1916 by throwing the Constable into the Liffey. The inquest into Sergeant Burton’s death heard he died from a gunshot wound to the right of his chest the bullet having passed through his right lung, evidence showed he had been shot in the back, he died 15 minutes after admission to hospital. The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland offered a reward of £5000 for evidence which will lead to the conviction of any person who committed the murders of the Dublin Police.


On Sunday the 14th of December 1919 R.I.C. Constable Edward Bolger was shot dead as he made his way home to Kilbrittan Barracks County Cork. Aged 48 he was married with 4 children and originally from County Kilkenny. In the months leading up to his killing, Bolger had been involved in a number of search and arrest operations in the locality. Two months previously he had arrested seven local IRA men and was witness against them at their trial. These men were released on the Friday before the shooting.


Constable Maurice Keogh RIC died on the 31st of December 1919 as a result of wounds he received when shot and wounded on the 24th of December 1919. The police were called to a row between British Soldiers and Civilians in Killarney. The inquest into Keogh’s death found he died as a result of wounds received from shots fired by Constable Egan and his death was accidental.


Constable William James Murtagh aged 21 died as a result of bullet wounds when shot accidently as a colleague cleaned his gun The incident happened in Clonoulty County Tipperary.


On the night of the 20th of January 1920 Constable Luke Finnegan was shot dead in Thurles County Tipperary. Constable  Finnegan was shot dead as he walked from the R.I.C. barracks in Market Square, Thurles to his home on The Mall a short distance away. Approaching his front door he was fired on by four men.  The I.R.A. men had been standing  close to a street lamp which had been conveniently extinguished.

Word was brought to the police and military of the shooting and a party of Sherwood Foresters, together with members of the local constabulary, appeared on the streets armed with rifles. The windows of the houses of twelve prominent Sinn Feiners were smashed as well as the windows in the nearby Sinn Fein Hall, and the Crown Forces fired a number of volleys down the street. No-one was injured although the disturbances lasted several hours. This became known as "The Sacking of Thurles". Constable Finnegan was taken to the Steevens Hospital in Dublin. In an attempt to save his life, blood was transfused from Constable Patrick McGirr but it was to no avail, and Finnegan died of his wounds two days later.


Constable Edward J Mulholland was accidentally shot dead by Constable Danagher at Moyne Barracks Thurles County Tipperary, Danagher was unloading his revolver when it was accidentally discharged.


Constable Michael Neenan aged 32 died from wounds received during an I.R.A. attack on Allihies RIC barracks County Cork. The IRA, led by Sean Hales with about 20 IRA men took part.  They blew a hole in the wall of the barracks with a mine constructed by Cornes O'Sullivan Cork No. 1 Brigade.  The RIC refused to surrender.


On the morning Friday the 27th of February 1920 Constable John Walsh DMP number 31B was shot dead on Grafton Street Dublin.

It was between 1.30am and 2am when the shooting happened. Police believe the affair began in Marlborough Street, three men were stopped in Waterford Street and arrested being found in the possession of a revolver. Almost simultaneously two Policemen were fired on in Marlborough Place, one bullet grazing a Constables coat. The Police believe the men fled through side streets and crossed O’Connell Bridge where they encountered two Policemen who ordered them to stop. The two men refused to stop and retreated back towards the Bank of Ireland firing revolvers as they went. A civilian admitted to the Mercer’s Hospital dangerously wounded. One of the men fled toward Grafton Street.

On Grafton Street the man was challenged by Sergeant Dunleavy and Constable Walsh, both Policemen were hit by bullets, Walsh was shot through the heart. The wounded civilian refused to give his name but was believed to be named McGrath from Belgrave Square Rathmines who had a business in Aungier Street. Several arrests were made including two men believed to be brothers of the wounded civilian who was also in custody in hospital, he premises in Aungier Street were also searched.


Constable John Heany of the RIC died from wounds received when he was shot in the village of  Ragg in the Thurles district County Tipperary. Constable Heany was taken to the Tipperary Military Hospital where he died from his wounds early Friday morning. Heany was 22 years old and had served with the RIC for two years and seven months.


Constable Heanue RIC was fatally wounded when with another Constable O’Flaherty were on patrol in the village of Ragg near Thurles County Tipperary. Several men attempted to disarm the policemen and in the ensuing struggle one of the attackers was wounded by Constable O’Flaherty. Constable Heanue died early the next day from his wounds, he was 24 years old.


RIC Constable Thomas Ryan  aged 39 and a native of Waterford was killed during an attack on the RIC barracks at Hugginstown 15 miles from Kilkenny. The attack started at about 11pm and lasted for over an hour and a half, the police surrendered when Constable Ryan requested a priest. The raiders took a quantity of rifles and revolvers, the barracks was badly damaged during the attack.


On Wednesday the 10th of March 1920 Sergeant George Neazor of the RIC, he was 39 years old and married with two children, was shot dead in the Hibernian Hotel Dublin. A witness stated at the inquest that five or six men entered the lounge area where guests were sitting by the fire, they opened fire on three men who had been sitting by the fire drinking tea, Neazor was hit and died at the scene.


On Thursday the 11th of March 1920 Constable Timothy Scully aged 64 of Glenmire Barrack near Cork City when he and another two RIC men were sheltering by a high wall from a rain storm, the three policemen were surrounded by a gang of men who immediately opened fire on them. Constable Scully, a native of Skibbereen County Cork managed to fire two shots before he was shot through the heart, he died at the scene.


On Tuesday the 16th of March 1920 two Constables of the RIC were attacked by a gang of armed men as they returned from devotions at the Catholic Church in the village of Toomevara County Tipperary. The two Constables were:

  • Constable James Rocke aged 26 who was mortally wounded in the attack and died a few hours later. Constable Roche had only been in the area a few weeks having been transferred from Borrisoleigh County Tipperary.

  • Constable Charles Healy aged 25 who had been taken to the Limerick Military Hospital died on the next evening from his wounds. Constable Healy had been stationed in Toomevara for several years.


On Friday the 19th of March RIC Constable Joseph Murtagh of Sunday’s Well Station Cork was shot dead in the street. He was a native of Galway and had served in the RIC for nearly thirty years the last ten of these in Cork. Constable Murtagh had left the barrack at about 11pm going by was of Pope’s Quay and had reached a point opposite St. Mary’s Church when a number of men fired at him, he received several bullet wounds and died instantly. Constable Murtagh, a widower and father of two children lived at Sunday’s Well Barrack and was returning from a night out at the theatre or picture house when the attack happened, he was dressed in civilian clothes.


Sergeant John Edward Brady died from gunshot wounds received when the Barracks at Rush County Dublin were attacked. Brady was 50 years old and a native of Bray County Wicklow.


On Friday the 9th of April two RIC men were shot dead when they were ambushed when cycling from Rearcross to Newport Petty Sessions in County Tipperary. Evidence at the scene of the ambush indicated that the ambush party had waited some considerable time for the policemen to arrive. The two policemen were:

  • Constable William Finn aged 22 and a native of Castlereagh County Roscommon.
  • Constable Daniel McCarthy aged 27 a native of Waterville County Kerry.


On the morning of the 14th of Aril 1920 D.M.P. Detective Constable Henry Kells aged 41 was shot dead on his way to work, he was ambushed on the corner of Pleasants Street where he lived and Camden Street Dublin. He was taken to the Meath Hospital but was dead on arrival, he had been shot in the back. He was a native of Cavan and was married with no children.


On Friday the 16th of April Patrick Foley, ex-soldier and member of the RIC was kidnapped from outside an hotel in Aunascaul County Kerry. The RIC man was later found dead in the yard of the local creamery. The dead man had served in the 1st battalion The Irish Guards, during WW1 and had been released for a German prisoner of war camp at the Armistices. Patrick Foley was a native of Galway and was 25 years old.


On the 16th of April 1920 Sergeant Patrick Finnerty aged 50 was shot dead when on duty with other Constables in Balbriggan County Dublin who were attending several bonfires which had been lit as part of a Sinn Fein rally. As Sergeant Finnerty and his men were walking along a dark area two shots rang out and Sergeant Finnerty fell mortally wounded in the back. The other members of the patrol were commended for their forbearance in not returning fire on the crowd from which the fatal shots had come as the crowd contained women and children. Sergeant Finnerty was shot at close range, other constables reported it was impossible to see more than a few yards due to the intense darkness and a steady downpour of rain. Sergeant Finnerty made his way to his home where he collapsed, he was later removed by military ambulance to the Mater Hospital where he died from his wounds, he had been shot in the back, the bullet passed through his liver. Sergeant Finnerty was 50 years old and had served in the R.I.C. for 27 years.


On the 17th of April 1920 RIC Constable Martin Clifford aged 21 was shot dead while home on leave near Waterville County Kerry.


Constable Laurence Dalton DMP was mortally wounded when he was shot in Mountjoy street. He was taken by private motor car to the Mater Hospital suffering from an abdominal wound and three wounds to the right leg. Emergency surgery was carried out but he died at 3.30pm without regaining consciousness. Constable Dalton was a single man aged 26 and had been in the DMP for approximately six years. He was formally in B Division but had recently transferred to G Division.


An inquest into the death of Acting-Sergeant Patrick Lavin RIC returned a verdict of death by self-inflicted wounds. Lavin had been found dead in his room at the Depot, Phoenix Park on Wednesday the 21st, he was a single man aged 39 and originally from Tibohine County Roscommon. Lavin had served in the British Army during WW1 with the Irish Guards. He was believed that Lavin committed suicide because of a transfer from his duties as Drill Instructor at the Depot.


On the 22nd of April 1920 Constable Michael McCarthy of the DMP was shot while on leave in Clonakilty County Cork. The dead man was home on leave when he was murdered by two men in a field he was 27 years old.


On Sunday the 25th of April 1920 two members of the RIC were killed when with another RIC man they were attacked at Ballinspittal six miles from Bandon County Cork. The two dead men were:

  • Sergeant Cornelius Crean who was struck by four bullets, a married man his wife ran a small hotel on King’s Street Cork. He was a native of Annascaul County Kerry and had served with the RIC for twenty eight years, He was a well known sportsman and had played in the Munster Rugby Cup matches with the Cork Constitution Team. His brother won distinction in the Royal Navy and was part of the South Pole expedition led by Sir Ernest Shackleton.

  • Constable Patrick McGoldrick aged fifty nine and a native of Cavan, he had served with the RIC for eight years.

Sergeant Cornelius Crean


Three RIC men were attacked by a group of about twenty men while cycling from the Listowel Quarter Sessions back to their barracks at Ballylongford North Kerry. One of the RIC men, Sergeant Francis J. McKenna was killed in the ambush. The other two policemen, Constable William Colgan and Constable Rabbitt were wounded in the attack.


Sergeant Rush who was seriously injured in an attack on Rush Barracks County Dublin died of his injuries on Sunday the 9th of May 1920.


Sergeant Flynn a married man with 27 years service in the RIC.

Three members of the RIC were killed at Timoleague County Cork. The deaths occurred when four policemen went on patrol, they had left their barrack in the village of Timoleague and had travelled about  a mile when they were attacked by a large group of men with rifles and shot guns. The three dead policemen were,

  • Sergeant John Flynn 56899 a married man with 27 years service in the RIC from Kildysart County Clare.

  • Constable Edward Dunne 62633 a native of Maryborough married and had served for 15 years in the RIC

  • Constable William Brick 64151 a native of Tralee with 12 years service in the RIC.


On Monday the 10th of May 1920 Sergeant Patrick McDonnell was walking from Goold’s cross Railway Station and the Clonoulty RIC Hut County Tipperary when he was shot dead.


On Tuesday the 11th of May 1920 two RIC Policemen were shot dead when they boarded a tram in Cork City, another policeman Constable Doyle was seriously injured. He three policemen boarded the tram at the Lower Road, the ambushers were waiting on the tram, the attack was so sudden the Policemen did not have an opportunity to defend themselves.

  • Sergeant Denis Garvey aged 47,

  • Constable Daniel Harrington aged 43,


At the inquest into the death of RIC Sergeant Patrick Carroll who was shot dead in an ambush at Kilmihil County Clare the jury returned the verdict that “We find that Sergeant Carroll died of shock and haemorrhage as a result of bullet wounds inflicted by some person or persons unknown whilst bearing arms on behalf of an alien and enemy Government.


On Saturday May 15th 1920 Detective Sergeant Denis Moroney became the first Policeman to be killed in Ulster since the beginning of the War of Independence. Moroney was part of a larger group of Policemen which had charged a large group of Sinn Fein supporters, revolver shots were fired at the police. Moroney, who was in plain clothes at the time, was part of a small group of Detectives which had followed a group of protestors up the Quays. Shots were exchanged and Moroney was shot through the lung, he died within half an hour of receiving the wound. Moroney was a native of Tullagh County Clare and had served with the force for 12 years spent mainly in Mayo, Belfast and County Londonderry.


On Wednesday the 19th of May 1920 two R.I.C. men were shot in Mallow Street Limerick. Sergeant Patrick Hearty and Sergeant Kyran Dunphy were shot by men from B company of the Limerick City Battalion (Mid-Limerick Brigade) led by Michael Hartney. Sergeant Dunphy received wounds to the head and died instantly, he served with the Leinster Regiment during ww1 and was 32 years old. Hearty died from bronchial pneumonia and heart failure following gunshot wounds on Tuesday the 22nd of June 1920. Hearty was 53 years old and a native of Creggan Bawn, Crossmaglen, County Armagh.


On Friday morning at 2am Kilmallock Barracks was attacked by a large force of Rebels, newspaper reports put the number of attackers at 400, two policemen were killed in the attack, the two policemen were,

  • Sergeant Thomas Kane who was given a military funeral at Glasnevin Cemetery Dublin.

  • Constable Joseph P. Morton married with eight children.

The police garrison stationed in the barracks put up a brave defence and prevented the attackers from gaining control of the barracks. All the survivors of the attack were decorated by Major-General Tudor with The Police Medal and Sergeant Sullivan was promoted to Head Constable and all other Constables were promoted to the rank of Sergeant, Sergeants were also awarded £50 and Constables £25.

The body of Colonel Gerald Smyth leaves Victoria Barracks Cork for Banbridge, County Down where he was buried on the 20th of July.


On the evening of the 17th of July 1920 Gerald Smyth Divisional Commissioner of the Province of Munster was shot dead by the I.R.A. at his lodgings at the Cork and County Club, Cork. He was born at Phoenix Lodge, Dalhousie, Punjab, India. On 19 June 1920 Smyth made a speech to the ranks of the Listowel RIC in which was reported to have said, "Police and military will patrol the country roads at least five nights a week. They are not to confine themselves to the main roads but make across the country, lie in ambush, take cover behind fences near roads, and when civilians are seen approaching shout: 'Hands up!' Should the order be not obeyed, shoot, and shoot with effect. If the persons approaching carry their hands in their pockets or are in any way suspicious looking, shoot them down. You may make mistakes occasionally and innocent persons may be shot, but that cannot be helped and you are bound to get the right persons sometimes. The more you shoot the better I will like you, and I assure you that no policeman will get into trouble for shooting any man and I will guarantee that your names will not be given at the inquest. One officer, Constable Jeremiah Mee, put his gun on the table and called Smyth a murderer. Smyth ordered his arrest but the RIC men present refused.[3] He and 13 others resigned, most joining or assisting the Irish Republican Army.[citation needed] Mee became a confidant and ally of Michael Collins.


Detective Sergeant William Mulherin (he is named on several websites as Mulhearn but the R.I.C. records his names is Mulherin), who was shot dead in Bandon County Cork in July, 1920, was Chief Intelligence Officer for the RIC in the West Cork region. The accuracy of the information he received from local contacts was having a demoralizing effect on the IRA, following a number of raids and arrests of their men. Realizing that his life was in danger, he continued to take every precaution to ensure his safety, having already survived an attempt on his life in March, 1920. Nevertheless, he was gunned down by two men in the porch of St. Patricks in Bandon as he entered the church to attend 8am Mass. Thirty-eight year old Sergeant Mulhearn was originally from County Mayo.


On Wednesday June the 9th 1920 an RIC sergeant died in the Louth Infirmary from wounds he received on Sunday the 6th of June in a gun battle at Cullyhanna County Armagh. Sergeant Timothy Holland along with two other policemen was attacked during a Sinn Fein march. Holland was a native of Dunmanway County Cork, he was 42 years old and married with five young children. Constable Rafferty who was shot in the same incident remains in a critical condition in hospital.


On Saturday the 12th of June 1920 Constable King of the RIC was attacked while returning to his station in Bantry County Cork, although wounded in the attack Constable King managed to make it to a house but was dragged out by his attackers and shot dead. The inquest into King’s death had to be postponed because no jury could be found for the inquest.


On the morning of Tuesday the 15th of June 1920 Captain Lea Wilson RIC District Inspector Gorey County Wexford was shot dead at 9.45am. Returning from Gorey to his residence he was shot dead when about 250 yards from his home. He was found lying on his side on the footpath in a pool of blood, he had been riddled with bullets. Wilson had been in Gorey for about three years, he previously served in Charleville County Cork where in 1915 he joined the British Army and served in France where he was promoted to Captain. During the 1916 Rising he was on temporary duty in charge of 250 rebel prisoners at the Rotunda Gardens. He was shot by 5 men standing beside a car which they then used to flee the scene.


On Monday the 21st of June 1920 R.I.C. Constable James Brett aged 49 was shot dead when the patrol he was part of was ambushed near Bantry County Cork. No local undertaker would supply a hearse or assist in any way in the burial of the late Constable Brett it was also reported that no local people attended the funeral.


On Sunday the 27th of June 1920 Head Constable Parrott was struck in the head by a stone during an Orange Party disturbance in the Sandy Row district. He died some days later from his injuries.


On the 21st of August 1920 R.I.C. Detective John Hanlon was shot dead in Washes’ Pub on Moore Street, Kilrush, County Clare. Hanlon was now to the local I.R.A. as the R.I.C.s intelligence man, Hanlon had recently received intelligence which resulted in the raiding of an I.R.A. training camp at Simon O’Donnell’s house in Tullucrine resulting in the temporary disbandment of the West Clare Flying Column. The I.R.A. were unable to identify the informer so decided to shoot Hanlon. Several attempts were made, it was by chance that I.R.A. Volunteer Liam Haugh saw Hanlon on Moore Street, following him into Walshes Hanlon was shot dead in the kitchen.  Hanlon was 33years old.


On Saturday the 21st of August RIC Sergeant Daniel Maunsell aged 49 was killed in an ambush at Macroom County Cork.


On Monday the 20th of September 1920 R.I.C. Head Constable Peter Burke was shot in a Public House in Balbriggan County Dublin. Burke was with his brother Sergeant Michael Burk who was injured in the attack. Peter Burke was 36 years old and had been awarded the Constabulary Medal for Gallantry.  It was claimed in several records that Peter Burke was killed by Daniel Brophy, Brrophy fought in the 1916 Rising, War of Independance and the Pro-Treaty side during the Civil War.


O the 22nd of September 1920 six R.I.C. men were killed in an ambush at Drummin Hill in the townland of Drummin near Rineen County Clare. A large force of I.R.A. were waiting in ambush from the R.I.C. patrol but due to an error in a message sent by an I.R.A.  Scout, he reported three Lorries instead of the one the I.R.A. were expecting were approaching,   the Crossley Tender was allowed to pass. Realizing the error the I.R.A. waited for the return of the Crossley Tender journey.  It was on this journey the Crossley Tender was attack with mills bombs and rifle fire. The six dead men were:

  • Constable Reginald Hardman, aged 21, a native of East Finchley London. He had served in the British Army before joining the Black and Tans.

  • Constable Michael Harte, aged 28. A native of Sligo.

  • Constable John Hodnett, aged 31. A native of Cork.

  • Constable Michael Kelly, aged 32. A native of Roscommon.

  • Constable John McGuire, aged 20. A native of Mayo.

The sixth man to die was Sergeant Michael Hynes aged 29 from Roscommon who died two days later from wounds received during the ambush.


On the 25th of September 1920 R.I.C. Constable Michael Brogan, aged 41, was shot dead in the Village of Broadford County Clare. Brogan and another R.I.C. Constable had just left Will O’Brien’s pub, as they walked down the street in the direction of the R.I.C. barracks they were fired on by two men. Brogan was mortally wounded the other R.I.C. constable escaped, Brogan’s body was found the next morning under a cart.

On Monday the 27th of September 1920 R.I.C. sergeant Martin Morgan aged 44 was shot in an ambush while cycling to his barracks in Newtown County Waterford.



On the 29th of September 1920 two R.I.C. Constables were shot dead in the village of O’Brien’s Bridge County Clare. The two R.I.C. men were drinking in a public house when four I.R.A. men entered shooting with revolvers. The two dead men were:

  • Constable John Downey, aged 35 a native of Cork, he was killed instantly.

  • Constable John Thomas Keeffe (Keefe) aged 30, a native of County Clare, he died shortly after the attack from wounds received.


On the Wednesday the 6th of October 1920 two RIC men were killed in an ambush in village of Feakle, County Clare. A patrol of six RIC men were fired on from the post office in the village. The two dead men were:

  • Constable William Stanley who died at the scene.
  • Sergeant Francis Doherty who died later from wounds received in the attack.


On the 18th of October 1920 R.I.C. Constable John Lougheed Number 65478 was shot dead when a large party of I.R.A. raided Ruan Barracks County Clare. Shortly after 7.30am on the 18th of October several I.R.A. men entered the Barracks where most of the R.I.C. men were asleep, Lougheed was woken and appeared to reach for his firearm which  was nearby, one of the I.R.A. men fired on him, he was mortally wounded and died a short time later.


On the 9th of November 1920 Constable Archibald Turner age 28 was shot dead and another Policeman Constable James Thomas Woods aged 29 mortally wounded in the same incident died six days later on the 15th of November 1920. The two Policemen were returning from leave and were attacked in a train carriage at Ballybrack County Kerry.


On the afternoon of the 13th of November 1920 a mixed patrol of a seven R.I.C. Constables and Black and Tans were ambushed at Inches Cross between Lisvernane and Bansha County Tipperary.  The seven member of the Patrol in a Crossley Tender were:

  • Constable Derwent Wallace, driver. Survived the ambush.

  • Constable Patrick Mackessy, front passenger seat. A native of County Kerry with nine years’ service. Died.

In the back of the tender were:

  • Charles Buntrock, died in the Ambush. Brother of William (below) both had joined the Black and Tans on the 15 of October 1920 so had less than a month service. They were from England.

  • William Buntrock. Survived the Ambush.

  • Patrick Fardy. Survived the Ambush.

  • John Miller. A native of County Wicklow with about 6 months service. Died.

  • Jeremiah O’Leary. A native of Cork who had served in the R.I.C. for ten years. Died.

There a various accounts relating to firing being continued after the R.I.C. had surrendered, there are some accounts of the ambush in books and on the internet.



On Wednesday the 17th of November RIC Sergeant James O'Donoghue was shot dead in White Street, Cork, he was returning to Barracks at Tuckey Street when attacked by three men. The three I.R.A. men were later identified as Charlie O'Brien, Willie Joe O'Brien and Justin O'Connor. His remains were taken by motor car from St Finbarr’s Church to Cahirciveen for interment.  


RIC Sergeant John J, Fitzgerald was shot dead on the Sunday the 21st of November 1920 in what became known as Bloody Sunday. Fitzgerald was an ex-British Army Captain. The I.R.A. had previously tried to kill him, he escaped his assassins by pretending to be dead after they shot him. He was in Dublin recovering from the wounds he received in the assassination attempt when he was shot. He was 22 years old and had been staying at Earlsfort Terrace where he was shot.

On the same day and connected with the Bloody Sunday Shooting two RIC Cadets were killed  near Mount Street Bridge Dublin. The two Cadets were part of a larger group on their way to the Railway Station when they were diverted to Lower Mount Street where the I.R.A. were raiding a house as part of the Bloody Sunday shootings. The two Cadets were sent to get help but never made it. The two Cadets were:

  • Temporary Cadet Frank Garniss age 34 from Hull Yorkshire. Garniss had served in the British Army during WW1.

  • Temporary Cadet Cecil A Morris aged 24 was married with one child. He was from Thornton Heath Surrey and was a native of Marylebone London and had served with the Middlesex Regiment and Machine Gun Corps during the War and had achieved the rank of 2nd Lieutenant.


On the 22nd of November 1920 three R.I.C. Constables were killed in a road traffic accident at Dromoland County Clare. The three men were:

  • Constable Patrick Driscoll aged 31.

  • Constable Michael Fleming aged 31

  • Constable Edward G Roper aged 25.

Constable Michael Dennehy RIC of Ruskey, County Roscommon. The is some confusion about how and when Michael Dennehy died. Michael Dennehy left the Barracks and proceeded to Knockhall, County Roscommon, at about 8.30pm he was kidnapped by unknown armed men. Dail Éireann department of Defence records show that Michael Dennehy was arrested and charged by the I.R.A. with espionage, court martialled by a duly authorised authority, found guilty, and executed on the 24th of November 1920. There are several versions on how and when Michael Dennehy died and some even state he was not executed but fled to America.


On Sunday the 28th of November 1920 16 Temporary Cadets and a District Inspector were killed in an ambush near the village of Kilmichael County Cork. The I.R.A. ambush was led by Tom Barry, there are various versions of what actually happened, it’s the sort of event you have to research yourself and make up your own mind. The 17 were:

  • District Inspector Francis William Crake aged 27, awarded the Military Cross during WW1

  • Temporary Cadet William Thomas Barnes aged 26, awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross during WW1.

  • Temporary Cadet Cyril Dunstan Wakefield Bayley aged 22, joined the Artists Rifles at the outbreak of WW1 and was commissioned into the Royal Flying Corps later R.A.F. flew missions in France and Germany. He was wounded in the War and at one time was the youngest Officer in the R.A.F. He is buried in Manchester.

  • Temporary Cadet Leonard Douglas Bradshaw aged 22. Served during WW1 and was only 16 when he joined the Royal Field Artillery and was a commissioned officer at 18. He was wounded in France and also gassed.

  • Temporary Cadet James Chubb Gleave aged 21 . Was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross during WW1. His brother was Killed in Action on the Somme in July 1916.

  • Temporary Cadet Philip Noel Graham aged 31.

  • Temporary Cadet William Hooper Jones aged 24. Previously served in the Dardanelles campaign during WW1 where he was promoted from the ranks. He was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre in 1918.

  • Temporary Cadet Frederick Hugo aged 40. Was awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE) and the Military Cross.

  • Temporary Cadet Albert George Jones aged 33.

  • Temporary Cadet Ernest William Henry Lucas aged 31.

  • Temporary Cadet William Andre Pallister aged 25. Enlisted as a Private at the outbreak of the War but was Commissioned as a Lieutenant in the West Yorks Regiment. Transferred to the Royal Flying Corps, promoted to Captain, and awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

  • Temporary Cadet Henry Oliver Pearson aged 21.

  • Temporary Cadet Frank Taylor aged 22.

  • Temporary Cadet Christopher Herbert Wainwright aged 36.

  • Temporary Cadet Benjamin Webster aged 30.

  • Temporary Constable Arthur Frederick Poole aged 21.

Temporary Cadet Cecil James Guthrie aged 21 escaped alive from the ambush but was captured and two days later on the 28th of November and killed. Reports vary on how long he was at large before being captured.


On Saturday the 11th of December 1920 Spencer R Chapman, ADRIC (Cadet Number 495, RIC 77834) was killed in an ambush on an RIC/ADRIC convoy at Dillion’s Cross Cork. He was a native of Westcliffe-on-Sea, Surrey, England, born in 1893. Two IRA men were shot in their home the next day and in reprisal for the killing of Chapman. There were several other attacks on ADRIC and RIC in Cork on the 11th of December and it is believed the burning of Cork on the 11th and 12 of December was in reprisal for these attacks.


On the 13th of December 1920 RIC Constable Frederick Taylor was killed by a bomb explosion during a sustained attack on Ballinalee Barracks County Limerick. Constable Taylor was 18 years old and a native of Newcastle-on-Tyne UK.

On Friday the 17th of December 1920 Constable Peter Shannon R.I.C., aged 36 and stationed at Swanlinbar County Cavan was shot dead when ambushed in the village. At about 9.30pm he was on patrol with a sergeant and two other constables, as the patrol passed some walls at the north end of the village in the direction of Enniskillen a volley of rifle, revolver and shotgun fire rained down on the patrol. Constable Shannon was hit three time and died at the scene.


On the night of Sunday the 26th of December 1920 two Policemen were killed in a raid on an I.R.A. fund raising dance held in Cahirguillamore House Limerick, the owner of the house Viscount O’Grady was away at the time. The two men were:
  • Constable Alfred C Hogsden aged 32 from Penge London. Hogsden had served only seven weeks in the RIC, he had served for 15 years in the Royal Navy.
  • Constable John Reid aged 27. 
Five I.R.A. men were killed in the raid which was conducted by a joint Military and Police force.


On Monday the 27th of December 1920 Constable Isaac James Rea aged 20 was shot and fatally wounded while out walking in Cappoquin County Waterford on the 21st of November.


On Wednesday the 29th of December 1920 two policemen were killed in an ambush on the Main Street of Middleton County Cork. The ambush was carried out by the 4th Battalion of Cork Number 1 Brigade on a patrol of 10 RIC men. The two dead men were:

  • Constable Ernest Dray
  • Constable Arthur Thorp.

Another RIC man was killed when reinforcements on their way to Middleton were ambushed near the village of Ballyrichard.

  • Constable Martin Mullen.


On the 13th of January 1921 two R.I.C. men were killed in an ambush between two bends in the road at Cratloe Moyle County Clare. To the northeast of the road was a large vacant farm house then owned by the McInerny family. On the south western side of the road was a farmstead belonging to Mrs. Begley, a native of Limerick. Mrs. Begley’s property consisted of a series of out houses, a hay barn and a small stone farmhouse occupied by her employee’s Paddy and Willy Jones. This site was considered suitable for an ambush because there was a sharp bend at that point of the road which would force any approaching British lorry to slow down.  As the R.I.C. lorry passed the ambush site it was fired on and several occupants were hit. The two dead men were.

  • Sergeant Stephen Carty (Carthy), Number 58105 aged 45. He had been a member of the RIC for twenty two years.

  • Sergeant Jeremiah Curtin, Number 60459 aged 43, he was awarded the Constabulary Medal for bravery. He had been a member of the RIC for nineteen years. He was married with no children.


On the 20th of January 1921 an R.I.C. patrol was ambushed at Glenwood House between Sixmilebridge and Broadford County Clare. The six men were:

  • Sergeant Mulloy aged 38 and a native of Mayo, he had received the Constabulary Medal for Gallantry.

  • Constable John Doogue aged 34 and a native of Laois

  • Constable Michael Moran aged 23 from Castlebar County Mayo

  • Constable Frank E. Morris aged 27 from London

  • Constable William J. Smith aged 24 from Kent

  • D.I. William Clarke aged 28 a native of Armagh who had recently been promoted from the Auxiliaries to the regular R.I.C. He died on the 31th of January from wounds received during the ambush.


On the 20th of January 1921 District Inspector Tobias O’Sullivan was shot dead as he walked home with his young son close to Listowel Barracks County Kerry. He died instantly when hit sixteen times in the head and body. It was believed that O’Sullivan was killed in reprisal for his defence of Kilmallock Barracks on the 28th of May 1920.


Divisional Commissioner Major Philip Armstrong Holmes died on Saturday 10am on the 28th of January 1921 in the Military Hospital Cork, a special train left Cork on Friday evening to carrying two prominent surgeons to attend to Major Holmes but owing to the extensive nature of his wounds he died Saturday morning.  He was being escorted by a sergeant and five constables when they were ambushed by the Newmarket battalion column and a number of East Kerry Volunteers at Tureengarriffe, on the Castleisland road two miles west of Ballydesmond. Son of the late County inspector George Holmes Dublin. Served as District Inspector in County Clare and later in Roscommon and Strabane (Straban) Northern Ireland. 1914 Commissioned into the R I Reg, served with the R I Fus and R I Rifles, twice wounded and twice gassed in France. Served with Army Intelligence Midland District Irish Command at the Curragh. Resumed police duties after the War, District Inspector Mountpottering district and later Assistant Commissioned of Police after the death of Mr Redmond who was killed in Dublin.


On Tuesday the 1st of February 1921 Constable William Joseph O’Connor was shot dead as part of a four man group he was returning from the village of Drimoleague County Cork. The four were ambushed and Constable O’Connor was killed.


On Wednesday the 2nd of February 1921 four Auxiliary Policemen were killed when at Ballinlee near Granard County Longford when as part of a patrol of two vehicles and 17 Auxiliary policemen they were ambushed by a large party of I.R.A. Volunteers. Two of the policemen died on the 2nd of February the other two died two days later on the 4th.

  • District Inspector Francis Worthington Craven aged 32 awarded the Distinguished Service Order, Distinguished Service Cross and Distinguished Service Medal during WW1, died on the 2nd of February.
  • Temporary Cadet John A Houghton, aged 25, died on the 2nd of February.
  • Temporary Cadet George Bush aged 22 died on the 4th of February.
  • Temporary Cadet Harold Clayton aged 24 died on the 4th of February. Clayton was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.


RIC Constable Arthur Hardie committed suicide on the 3rd of February 1921. Hardie and another RIC Constable William Mitchell carried out a robbery at the home of Mr. Robert Dixon JP at Dunlavin County Wicklow. The robbery went wrong and Mr. Dixon was shot dead by Hardie. The incident happened on the 2nd of February and Hardie killed himself the next day. Constable William Mitchell was executed in Mountjoy on the 7th of June 1921.


On Thursday the 3rd of February 1921 11 R.I.C. men were killed in an ambush at Dromkeen County Limerick. The ambush was carried out by East and Mid Limerick Brigades IRA, some 45 riflemen, under the command of Donnocha O'Hannigan commander of East Limerick Brigade. The ambush happened at about 2.30pm when two police vehicles were ambushed near Pallas Green. District Inspector Sanson, Newpallas County Limerick, was returning from Fedamore with a party of twelve men, about three miles from Newpallas they were attacked by a large party of men. The ambush took place at a sharp turn in the road, obstacles had been placed across the road and when the two Lorries reached the bend in the road what was described as deadly fire was opened on the R.I.C. from both sides of the road. Nine R.I.C. men died at the ambush site and a further two died later from wounds received. The dead men were named as:

  • Patrick Foody aged 43 a native of Sligo (Some newspaper reports say native of Galway), 20 years’ service.
  • Bernard Mollaghan aged 42 a native of Longford (reported in some newspapers as a native of Galway) 17 years’ service.
  • John Joseph Bourke aged 29 a native of Clare (listed in Abbott Police Causalities in Ireland as a native of Kilkenny) 7 years’ service.
  • William Hayton aged 20, a native of Yorkshire UK, 4 months service.
  • William Kingston, aged 21, native of London UK, 3 months service.
  • Michael Doyle, aged 24, a native of Dublin (Names in some newspaper report as William Doyle from Lincolnshire UK), 2 month service.
  • George William Bell aged 25, a native of Newcastle-on-Tyne, 3 months service.
  • Samuel Adams, aged 27, a native of Glasgow Scotland, 2 months service.
  • Sydney Millin aged 35, a native of London (Middlesex) UK, 4 months service.

Died from wounds received in the ambush.

  • Arthur Pearce, aged 22, a native of Lancashire (some reports say a native of Scotland), 1 months service.
  • Henry (Harry) Smith, aged 30, native of Selkirk, 1 months service.


On Sunday the 13th of February 1921 Constable John Patrick Lynch R.I.C. aged 37 died from gunshot wounds when the tender he was travelling in was attacked Ballough Dublin. The tender in which he was travelling in at about 2.30am slowed at a corner in the road near Ballough and ten or twelve shots were fired from the left hand side of the road. The tender did not stop.


On Monday the 21st of February 1921 R.I.C. Sergeant Joseph Hughes aged 34 was shot when ambushed while on night patrol with a party of R.I.C. As the patrol neared the Roman Catholic Church in Maynooth County Kildare fire was opened on them from behind a wall. The patrol returned fire but were forced to retreat, they returned later to pick up Sergeant Hughes who was unconscious when they found him. Sergeant Hughes was removed to hospital where he died from wounds to the head.


On Tuesday the 22nd of February 1921 Constable George Horace Howlett aged 22 was shot dead while walking with another man towards the R.I.C. barracks in Ballylongford County Kerry.


On Friday the 25th of February 1921 at Macroom near Ballvourney County Cork two Auxiliaries and an R.I.C. Constable died in an I.R.A. ambush.

  • Auxiliary Company Commander James Seafield-Grant aged 30, awarded the Military Cross, died on the 25th of February.
  • R.I.C. Constable Arthur William Cane aged 36 died from wounds received in the same ambush on the 26 of February.
  • Temporary Cadet Clive L Soady aged 38 died the on the 1st of March from wounds received in the ambush on the 25th of May.
It is reported that the Auxiliaries and R.I.C. were ambushed by the 1st Mid-Cork Brigade and that the police had become aware that the ambush was being planned. A force of some seventy Auxiliaries and seven R.I.C. men went to investigate and were intercepted by the I.R.A., the gun battle lasted up to four hours before the I.R.A. retreated.


On Thursday the 3rd of March 1921 R.I.C. Constable Joseph Duddy aged 33 was shot dead when a patrol he was part of was ambushed at Ballyduff Upper County Waterford.


R.I.C. Constable Patrick J. O’Connor was killed on the Falls Road Belfast. Born in 1886, he was from County Clare. He served in the British Army during WW1 and was a Prisoner of War after the battle of Mons, he joined the R.I.C. in 1907 enlisted in the Royal Irish Regiment and re-joined the R.I.C. after the War.


On the 11th of March 1921 tow policemen were shot dead another mortally wounded and a civilian shot dead in an attack in Victoria Square Belfast. A Military Court of Inquiry in lieu of an Inquest heard from witnesses that the woman was talking to two Constables, they were later joined by a third Constable at about 8.20pm. Six or seven shots were heard and two of the Constables and the woman fell to the ground and the third Constable ran from the scene clutching his head. Two of the Constables and the woman were pronounced dead at the scene the third constable died two days later in hospital. The dead policemen were:

  • Constable Robert A Crook aged 26.

  • Constable John McIntosh aged 26.

  • Constable Walter H. Cooper aged 28, died two days later in Hospital.


On the 12th of March 1921 a Cadet of the Auxiliary Police Force was shot dead at Tubrid Railway Station County Kerry. The Limerick train was attacked by a large group of Rebels with a machine gun. One officer and six temporary Cadets were returning by train from Listowel when they were ambushed Ardfert. The attackers wee driven off and the train continued to Tralee, the engine driver was seriously wounded. The dead man was,

  • Temporary Cadet Faulkner, he had served as a Lieutenant with the Durham Light Infantry and was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry in the field in France during WW1. His home address was 31 Wynn’s Lay Gardens, Kensington, London.


On the 12th of March 1921 R.I.C. Constable Daniel Anthony Murphy was shot by I.R.A. Volunteers Martin McNamara and John Curley at Glenwood County Clare. Murphy was cycling from Broadford when the two I.R.A. men stopped him, it was reported to the local I.R.A.  that Murphy had been in the area dressed as a farm labourer and asking questions about the I.R.A., when stopped Murphy was in civilian clothes. Murphy, who was stationed in Cork, was searched and questioned then shot later that day. Murphy’s body was buried in a local wood and his body not recovered until after the Truce.


On Monday the 14th of March 1921 two Auxiliary policemen were killed when, as part of a raiding party, they were ambushed on their way to raid an I.R.A. meeting at Saint Andrews Club, 144 Brunswick Street Dublin City. The two men were:
  • Temporary Cadet James J. O’Farrell aged 28 who died on the 14th.

    He had served with the 2nd Battalion Dublin Fusiliers in the early part of World War One, he received a Commission when transferred to the Tank Corps.

  • Temporary Cadet Bernard J. L. Beard aged 34 who died from wounds on the 15th of March. Beard had been awarded the Military Cross during World War 1. The ambush took place on Brunswick Street. It is reported in some modern books that five I.R.A. men were killed in this incident but it was in fact two I.R.A. Volunteers and three civilians. The names of the I.R.A. Volunteers and civilians are recorded under their respective headings on this web-site.

On Friday the 18th of March 1921 a patrol of six constables and one sergeant were ambushed in the village of Castletownroche County Cork by a large group of armed men, some reports put the number of attackers at 150. Constable William Elton aged 23 died the next day from wounds received in the attack.


Arthur Frederick Kenward R.I.C. Constable 73283, killed at Lissagroom, Upton County Cork. Born in Surry England in 1900.


On Sunday the 20th of March William Campbell R.I.C. Constable 62454 Killed at Mullinahone County Tipperary. Born in County Leitrim in 1883. He was off duty and on the ‘sick-list’ and was shot dead at the back of his lodgings at Mullinahone at 9.45pm by unknown men.  


On Sunday the 20th of March James McKenna R.I.C. Constable 66625 Killed at Falcarragh County Donegal. Born in Ennybeggs County Longford in 1892. He was shot dead at 9.50pm, about fifty yards from the barracks at Falcarragh, by gunmen occupying an empty house. Other constables in the Barracks rushed out and fired on Constable McKenna’s attackers. Constable McKenna received a wound to the chin, he was removed to the barracks but died about twenty minutes later, he had been stationed at Falcarragh for about eight months.


On Tuesday the 22nd of March two R.I.C. Constables were killed and a Sergeant O’Reilly seriously wounded, they were part of a patrol of six Policemen cycling from Keadue to Ballyfarnon County Roscommon when they were ambushed at the ‘Black Wood,’ the patrol was on its way to investigate recent raids on the Post Office. The two dead Constables were:

  • William Devereux, R.I.C. Constable 49046, Born in County Roscommon in 1864.
  • Michael James Dowling, R.I.C. Constable 67499, born in County Wicklow in 1891.


On Wednesday the 23rd of March 1921 three Soldiers were killed and an R.I.C. Constable fatally wounded in an ambush at Scramogue near Strokestown County Roscommon. Constable Edward L Leslie died from his wounds three days later on Saturday the 26th of March 1921. In the same ambush three men in plain clothes were found in the lorry and taken prisoner by the I.R.A., these men were identified as Black and Tans, despite offering to show the I.R.A.  how to use the Hotchkiss Machine Gun captured by the I.R.A. in the ambush the I.R.A. decided to execute the three, this decision was made out of fear that they would later identify the I.R.A., the three were:

  • Constable Robert A Buchanan aged 21

  • Constable Michael Dennehy aged 27

  • Constable James Evens

After the executions the bodies were buried in a bog.


On the 31st of March 1921 R.I.C. Constable Stanley L. Moore, aged 30, was shot dead in Miltown Malbay County Clare. Moore and another Constable, Hersey, had just left Wilsons’ public house at about 9.30pm, a party of I.R.A. men from the 4th Battalion were concealed in the ruins of O’Neill’s’ house which had been burnt out in reprisal from the Rineen ambush.


On Thursday the 31st of March 1921 Auxiliary Cadet John Griffiths aged 27 was shot dead when he failed to answer a challenge by a sentry when returning to barracks in Dublin.


On Friday the 1st of April 1921 Sergeant John Higgins was shot and mortally wounded on Creggan Street Londonderry. James Clarke, 21 Marlborough Street gave evidence at the inquest that he met Sergeant Higgins on Great James’s Street, they walked together and half way up Creggan Street a young man endeavoured to pass them. Clarke then heard a shot and Sergeant Higgins fell to the ground, the young man ran off down the centre of Creggan Street.


At court of inquiry in lieu of an Inquest details of the death of Constable Daniel Hoey RIC was told the Constable was shot dead by a three armed men in Parliament Street Dublin.


The body of RIC Constable James Duffy was found in a ploughed field about half a mile of a shooting the previous night from which Duffy was apparently followed and killed. He suffered several gunshot wounds to the head and body. Constable Duffy was out walking on Sunday night a Killeshin County Laois, a civilian, Henry James, who was walking with Constable Duffy was wounded in the hip in the incident. Constable Duffy was 30 years old and the son of Mr. Frank Duffy a well known horse trader from Tonniscoffey midway between Monaghan Town and Ballybay. Constable Duffy had joined the RIC in December last, he had served in the Royal Garrison Artillery during WW1, he was awarded the Military Medal for bravery.


On the 6th of April 1921 Constable Michael Kenny aged 33 who was wounded during the attack on Lecky Road Police Barrack, Londonderry, died as a result of wounds received during the attack. Kenny had served with the RIC for nine years, three of which he spent in Londonderry. He was a native of County Leitrim and leaves a widow and three children. Constable Kenny was on street patrol and on hearing of the attack on the Barrack returned to defend it.


Two RIC constables, who had been on eight hours leave from their barracks at Carrigadrohid (four miles east of Macroom) were ambushed at Mashanaglass as they returned from the town of Macroom to their base. One constable was killed, while the other managed to escape. At about four in the afternoon the two were travelling by horse and trap when they were ambushed by about a dozen Volunteers. Constable Frederick Lord, a 33 year-old single man originally from London, was shot five times and fell dead from the trap. As his partner made his escape he was pursued for more than half a mile by his attackers, who continued to fire at him. He returned fire and, according to reports, one of his attackers was seen to fall. Following the attack, Lord's body was removed to Macroom Barracks. It later transpired that the dead man was planning to emigrate to Canada and had been due to resign a few days after the ambush took place. A man with six months' police service, he had previously been an electrician and a soldier before joining the RIC.


On the 15th of April 1921 R.I.C. District Inspector John Mackinnon was shot dead as he played golf in Tralee County Kerry. Mackinnon was 32 years old and had received the Distinguished Conduct Medal and Military Medal. He was officer Commanding H Company, Auxiliary Division R.I.C. He was born in Dumbarton, Scotland in 1889. He was playing golf at the Tralee Golf Links with a Cadet from his Command when at 4pm they were fired at by 8 to 12 men concealed behind a hedge some fifteen yards away. The Cadet returned fire. MacKinnon was hit in the head and back, he died from his wounds about 45 minutes later, he had been in command of H Company since its formation in October 1920.


On the night of  the 16th of April 1921 R.I.C. Constable George Henry Rogers was shot dead at Fedamore County Limerick when a patrol of which he was part was ambushed as the patrol approached New Barracks. Rogers was a native of London and aged 25 years old when he was killed. His body was taken from New Barracks by train to Dublin then to London where he was buried. As his body left New Barracks the band of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers played the funeral march, his body was wrapped in the Union Flag. Two other R.I.C. constables were wounded in the attack.

On  the 17th of April 1921 two members of the R.I.C. were killed at Castleconnell County Limerick. Sergeant William John Hughes aged 46 and Temporary Cadet Donald Pringle aged 27. Both men were killed along with Hotel proprietor Dennis O’Donovan. The two policemen and the hotel owner were shot by a group of Auxiliaries, the Auxiliaries were on a raid of the hotel, when they entered shouting hands up they were mistaken for I.R.A. and Hughes and Pringle fired on them. It was believed the mistake occurred because the raiding Auxiliaries were wearing a mix of uniform and civilian clothes. A Military inquiry found the raid by the Auxiliaries was ill conceived and badly executed.


On the 19th of April 1921 two RIC Constables were shot dead at Ballisodare County Sligo. The two Constables were on duty but in plain clothes and unarmed, they had left Sligo on the 18th on the 1.40pm train to Dublin, as they were returning to Sligo on the 3.15pm train from Dublin when the train reached Ballisodare and about 8.30pm eight or ten men rushed on to the train, the men went straight to the compartment where the two RIC Constables were seated, the two constables were abducted from the train and taken a short distance from the train and shot dead. The two Constables were:

  • Constable James Hetherington aged 31.
  • Constable Thomas Kelly aged 33.


On the 19th of April 1921 Sergeant Stephen Kirwan was shot when attacked in Connor’s Public House in Ballyboghill County Dublin. Sergeant Kirwan went to Connor’s with three other R.I.C. Constables, they entered by the back door, they were observed by a group of I.R.A. men who were at the front of Connor’s, using the cover of helping some children move some cows the I.R.A. men made their way to the back of Connor’s. As Sergeant Kirwan left the Public House the I.R.A. opened fire hitting Kirwan in the temple, he fell to the ground but managed to draw his revolver and return fire. Kirwan was hit again just above the heart as he lay on the ground, he managed to struggle to his feet and emptied his revolver at his attackers. The other Constables came to Kirwan’s aid and the attackers fled.

During the attack on Sergeant Kirwan I.R.A. Captain Peter White suffered fatal injuries when he was hit in the side, he died on the 19th of April from his wounds.

The above photo shows Sergeant Kirwan around 1898. Stephen Kirwan was from Ferns County Wexford he was 43 years old when he was killed. He was married and left a widow and 9 children, his wife was pregnant with their tenth child at the time of his death. Stephen Kirwan was the son of an R.I.C. Constable and two of his brother, Charles and Fenton, also served in the R.I.C.


On Thursday the 21st f April 1921 Temporary Constable Denis O’Loughlin aged 48 was shot dead in a Public House on Castle Street, Tralee, County Kerry.


On the 23rd of April 1921 R.I.C. Sergeant John McFadden, aged 30, died when shot in the Square, Kilrush, County Clare. Sergeant McFadden and Constable Hopkins were returning to Kilrush Barracks. The I.R.A. were waiting to ambush the nightly patrol but when the patrol failed to pass the ambush point the ambushers went to investigate, they met the two policemen returning from a local public house.


On the 23rd of April 1921 RIC Constable John Boylan (60741) was killed at Kilmilkin County Galway. He was born in County Leitrim in 1881, he was a widower with five children. He was part of a cycle patrol of fourteen men who were attacked as they travelled through the Maam Valley, he was shot through the neck and died almost instantly.


On Sunday the 24th of April 1921 two Auxiliaries were shot as they returned from Belfast to Sligo after completing escort duty. Both men were due to return on the 23rd but the Sligo train had been derailed causing them to remain in Belfast overnight. The men were ambushed at the junction of Donegall Place and Fountain Lane Belfast.

  • Temporary Cadet Ernest Baran Bolam aged 34.
  • Temporary Cadet John Beets Bales aged 23.


On the 26th of April 1921 Special Constable George C. Graham was fatally wounded in an ambush on Merchants’ Quay Newry, eight other men in the patrol were injured in the same attack. Graham was 22 years old and before joining the Special Constabulary he had resided in Lisburn.


On Wednesday the 27th of April R.I.C. District Inspector Gilbert Norman Potter aged 42 was shot dead in reprisal for the execution by hanging of I.R.A. Thomas Traynor in Mountjoy Jail on the 25th of April. Gilbert had been abducted by the I.R.A. when he ran into an I.R.A. unit on the 23rd of April. The I.R.A. unit which captured Gilbert were part of the 3rd (South) Tipperary Brigade who were operating at Curraghcloney close to the village of Ballylooby, they had been due to take part in a large ambush at Hyland’s Cross but the expected Crown Forces convoy failed to show.


On the 21st of April D.M.P. 10950 Constable William Thomas Steadman aged 34 was fatally wounded when shot while carrying dispatches by bicycle. He was taken to King George V (now St Bricin’s) where he died from his wounds on the 27th of April, he was a native of Wexford.


Two RIC Constables were shot dead on Sunday the 1st of May 1921. The two Constables left Arvagh Barracks at about 11.30am, at about 1pm shots were heard and the bodies of the two Constables were found at 5.30pm. Evidence give at the inquiry into the death of the Constables heard that six men had taken over a local farm house, sometime after 12pm shots were fired from the house and the six men left immediately, when the Farmer returned sometime later he found the bodies of the two Constables, their revolvers, ammunition and handcuffs were missing. The two Constables were:

  • Constable George Cuthbertson aged 21 from Greenan Dairy, Ayres, Scotland.
  • Constable Walter Shaw aged 20 from Hollypark, Newtown, Yorkshire.


On Saturday the 7th of May 1921 R.I.C. Constable Thomas Hopkins aged 21 was shot dead, he was stationed at Dromore County Tyrone. Hopkins, who was on leave and staying at his father’s house, had gone with his brother James to call on a neighbour up the road. They stayed at the house until about 11pm, James left the house about 15 minutes before his brother and stated in evidence that as he went down the road he was stopped by a group of armed men who demanded to know where his brother was. When Thomas left the house to return to his father’s house he was shot dead.


On May the 9th 1921 a Court of Inquiry held in lieu of an Inquest was held into the circumstance of the death of Frederick Sterland. Sterland was a member of the RIC, he lived at 2 Clarence Place, Brookfield, Birmingham and was staying in the Rob Roy Hotel Cork. Befriended by several men which Sterland sharer several drinks, all of which Sterland paid for, he left the hotel with the men on the night of the 8th of May. As the hotel manager was closing the door after Sterland and his party had left he heard several shots. Sterland was found lying in the street outside the hotel, he had several gunshot wounds to the head and hand. The court found that Sterland died owing to gunshot wounds inflicted by persons unknown and that such persons were guilty of murder.


A Military Court of Inquiry held at Tralee on the 12th of May 1921 found that RIC Head Constable William K Storey aged 46 was wilfully murdered by some person or persons unknown.


Constable John Kenna aged 24, originally from Co. Tipperary, was shot not far from the barracks where he was stationed at Innishannon (a village on the main road from Cork city to Bandon). Four IRA volunteers, led by the local battalion adjutant Jim O'Mahony, carried out the killing. His shooting was one of a number carried out in retaliation for the execution of four Co. Cork IRA men by the British two weeks previously.


Cecil Arthur Maurice Blake, District Inspector, R.I.C. number 76106. Born in Hampshire 20th of February 1885. Killed in an ambush at Ballyturin House, County Galway. Also killed in the same ambush were his wife and two British Soldiers. The party were returning about 8.30pm to Ballyturin House after a tennis game. As they approached the gates of the house they were ambushed by a party of gunmen. Of the party of five people the only survivor, Mrs. Margaret Gregory, described how up to twenty men surrounded the car are poured bullets into the victims.  


Two Policemen were killed and two wounded when they were ambushed while on cycle patrol, the patrol was cycling through the village of Kinnitty about seven miles from Birr, County Offaly. The patrol had passed through the village earlier that day and the attackers, knowing it would return by the same route, lay in wait.

  • Constable John Dunne 69438 from Galway and was born in 1898, he received a bullet wound to the back and chest and died about 45 minutes after the ambush.
  • Constable Edward Doran 69438 a native of Wexford born in 1896. He was mortally wounded in the attack receiving a bullet wound to the thigh, along with Constable M Connors and Constable Fitzgerald also wounded they were removed to a nearby house where they were attended to by Father O’Houlihan C.C., Dr. Woods and Dr. Morton, they were then taken to Birr Military Barracks where Doran succumbed to his wounds.


On Tuesday the 17th of May Constable Charles T Mead aged 36 was abducted and killed by the I.R.A., Mead was last seen alive at 4pm on the 17th and it was reported that he was shot at by two men in Ballyseedy County Kerry. Investigations found a large pool of blood where the reported shooting took place and a trail of blood led away from the scene for at least half a mile, the body was not recovered for some years after the disappearance.


A patrol of nine R.I.C. men were ambushed at Newpark between Lanesborough and Ballymahon County Longford at 3.30pm. Constable Edmund H Kenyon 74724 a native of County Kildare born in 1899 was shot dead, another three of the patrol were injured.


On the 18th of May Constable Albert Edward Carter 78015 was shot dead shortly after 11pm when a patrol was ambushed in Letterkenny, County Donegal. He was born in County Kildare in 1901. Sergeant Maguire was wounded in the same ambush.


On Thursday the 19th of May a force of between forty and sixty I.R.A. Volunteers ambushed a patrol of two Tenders and a Ford car at Kilmeena between Westport and Newport County Mayo. The Ford car leading the patrol was fired on and Head-Constable Potter was seriously wounded and Constable Harry Beckett 80290 born in Lancashire England in 1900 killed. A ditch which ran at an angle to the road prevented the I.R.A. from seeing the two Tenders which were some distance behind the car.  The occupants of the Tenders dismounted and using the ditch as cover out-flanked the I.R.A. and attacked the rear. During the ensuing gun-battle four I.R.A. Volunteers were Killed in the ambush and another died some weeks later in hospital.


On Monday the 23rd of May 1921 Constable Joseph Maguire aged 28 was killed when a patrol of eighteen R.I.C. men under a District Inspector were ambushed by the I.R.A. at Skirdagh four miles north-east of Newport County Mayo. The I.R.A> were reported to be entrenched in a strong position and were only routed when a large force of military arrived. One I.R.A. man John Brown of Rosario, Westport, was fatally injured, he was captured and died some time later in the County Infirmary Castlebar.


Constable Edgar Budd, aged 23, a native of Titchfield, Fareham, Hampshire, was shot dead on May 26th 1921. Budd was cycling accompanied by another constable from Ennis to Kildysary  County Clare. Both men were returning from leave and were in civilian clothes and un-armed. As the two men neared the village of Cooga six armed men appeared a short distance away and fired a volley of shots, Constable Budd was hit with a charge from a shotgun through the left temple, he died instantly. The other constable escaped across the fields and was pursued by his attackers for almost an hour, the pursuers firing at his continually.


On the 1st of June 1921 Constable Joseph C. Holman of 16 Warrior Square, St. Leonard’s-on-Sea, Sussex, was shot dead at Kilworth County Cork. Constable Holman was out walking with his girlfriend along a road near Kilworth when a shot was fired from a plantation near the roadside. Constable Holman was hit in the chest face and throat. He attempted to draw his revolver which fell to the ground. Constable Holman’s girlfriend received three minor wounds during the attack.

A subsequent search of the area found evidence of two or three persons having occupied the area of the ambush for some time. Constable Holman was 21 years old and unmarried.


On Wednesday the 1st of June at 4pm a cycle patrol of eleven RIC men under District Inspector McCaughey were ambushed, the ambush took place mid-way between Castlemaine and Milltown County Kerry, the patrol were returning from to Killorglin from Tralee. A hail of bullets rained down on the Patrol from both sides of the road. District Inspector McCaughey and Sergeant Collery fell instantly and in the ensuing battle which lasted for over half an hour three more Policemen were killed.

  • District Inspector McCaughey aged 32 and a native of County Monaghan.

  • Sergeant Collery a married man with nine children was from Sligo.

  • Constable Quirk aged 33 from County Cork

  • Constable T Cooney aged 28 from County Leitrim

  • Constable John McCormack.


On the evening of Thursday the 2nd of June 1921 an R.I.C patrol were ambushed at Carrowkennedy midway between Leenane and Westport County Mayo. The patrol, which was under the command of District Inspector Stevenson, along with Head Constable Hanlon and Sergeant Cregan and 17 Constables left Westport for patrol duty at Bundorragha, a small fishing village on the south-east coast of County Mayo. When the patrol, which was travelling in two Crossley Tenders and a Ford car reached a point near Carrowkennedy they were stopped by a trench which had been dug across the road. Some local men were rounded up and forced to fill in the trench. The patrol proceeded to Bundorragha without further incident. When returning through Carrowkennedy at about 7pm that evening the patrol was ambushed by between 70 and 100 attackers. The battle raged for about three and a half hours, the District Inspector was reported to have been killed outright at the beginning of the attack. The attackers made off with a quantity of arms and ammunition including a Lewis machinegun, the Crossley Tenders and Ford car were burned out. The seven R.I.C. men killed were:

  • District Inspector Edward J. Stevenson aged 22. He was the son of the Chief Constable of Glasgow, Scotland.

  • Constable Sydney A Blythe aged 26, from London.

  • Constable James Y. Brown aged 23, from Roxboro, County Limerick.

  • Constable John Doherty aged 47. He was from Knockrow, Tuam, County Galway.

  • Constable William T. J. French aged 25, from Bristol, England.

  • Sergeant Francis Creegan (Creagan) aged 43 died from wound received in the ambush on the 3rd of June, he was from Johns Row Westport, County Mayo.

  • Constable Thomas Dowling aged 44 died on the 4th of June from wounds received during the ambush.


On the 3rd of June 1921 four R.I.C. men was shot dead in an ambush at Modreeney about a mile from Cloughjordan County Tipperary. A party of 12 policemen were travelling by bicycle from Borrisokane to Cloughjordan when they were ambushed by about 200 I.R.A. men. The official report from Dublin Castle stated that the attack tool place at about 10am. The four dead policemen were:

  • Constable John Cantlon from Ballyellin County Carlow

  • Constable William Walsh from County Kilkenny

  • Constable Martin Feeney Culleenanory, County Roscommon

  • Constable James Briggs from Scotland


On the 3rd of June 1921 The Irish Times reported that Constable Holman of Kilworth Barrack County Cork was shot dead while walking with his girlfriend. He was shot shortly after seven o’clock on the Killarney Road about a quarter of a mile from Kilworth. He had several gunshot wounds to the head and died in a very short time after the shooting. Cannon Morrison and Father Lynch attended the dying Constable, the body was brought to Fermoy Military Hospital.


On the night of Saturday 4th of June 1921 Sergeant Jerry Moroney (Gerard Morony) R.I.C. died from wounds he received when fired at near Park Bridge Limerick died from his wounds on Saturday night. The incident happened on the 28th of April 1921, he had 25 years’ service in the R.I.C. and was popular in St Mary’s District where he was in charge.


On Sunday the 5th of June 1921 R.I.C. Constable Robert Jolly was shot dead in an attack on police Abbeyfeale, County Limerick. Five other policemen were injured in the attack. The attack was carried out by the 2nd Battalion, West Limerick Brigade. A sergeant and five constables were in the process of tearing down seditious posters when the attack happened at about 6am. The sergeant was seriously injured and four constables received slight wounds.

R.I.C. sergeant Michael Burke was shot dead and a special constable Kennedy seriously wounded in an ambush shortly after midnight at Swatragh, Magherafelt County Londonderry.


On Tuesday the 7th of June 1921 Constable William Mitchell was hanged in Mountjoy for his part in the wilful murder of  Mr. Robert Dixon JP in his house at Dunlavin County Wicklow. Mitchell had gone with another RIC Constable Arthur Hardie to Dixon’s house with the intention of robbery, the robbery went wrong and Hardie shot Dixon and his son, Dixon died form wounds receive.

On the evening of June the 8th 1921 RIC Constable Dennis Patrick O’Leary was cycling from Carrick-on-Suir County Tipperary, where he was stationed, to his lodgings in Carrickbeg. When he reached Carrickbeg two men, one holding a revolver, rushed from the roadside. Constable O’Leary was fired on from close range by the man with the revolver, he fell from his bicycle mortally wounded. A joint Police Military patrol found the body of O’Leary shortly after the shooting, he was dead, he had been shot in the chest and the thigh. O’Leary was 43 years old.


On the 12th of June 1921 RIC Head Constable James McElhill aged 52. McElhill left the barrack at Kilbeggan County Westmeath at about 8 o’clock to go to church. When McIlhill got to within a short distance of the Roman Catholic Church he was shot several time, two Constable who had left the barrack shortly after McIlhill raised the alarm. When Police and Military reached the scene they found McIlhill lying on the ground wounded but conscious, he was removed to hospital where he died two hours later.  Before he died McIlhill was able to tell his comrades he had been attacked by about ten men who fired at him from a range of five or six yards.


On Thursday the 16th of June 1921 two Auxiliaries were killed when the I.R.A. ambushed a convoy of several vehicles. The Ambush took place at Rathcoole near Millstreet County Cork. Accounts of the numbers killed in the ambush and the numbers involved on both sides differ depending on which political persuasion the author originates from, if you Google it you can read all the accounts and make up your own mind. I found the names of two Auxiliaries killed in this ambush, they were

  • Temporary Cadet William A H Boyd aged 21.
  • Temporary Cadet Frederick E Shorter aged 21.


On Friday the 17th of June R.I.C. Constable William Campbell was shot dead when cycling on the Newry Road. He was 22 years old and a native of Dumbarton, Scotland. He had been stationed at Bridge Street since January. He left the station at 10.30pm, when he had not returned for the 11pm roll call a search party motored out the Newry Road, his body was found in a pool of blood. He had been shot through the heart at close range. He had served in the British Army during WW1, his revolver was missing.


Constable Albert Bradford R.I.C. 72721died in an ambush at Fiddown Mooncoin County Kilkenny. He was part of a patrol of eight R.I.C. men ambushed. The police captured four shot-guns, 200 cartridges charged with buckshot. A revolver and several rounds of ammunition. The attackers were pursued by Crown Forces.  


On the 1st of July 1921 two RIC Constables were abducted by an armed group when they were part of a cycle patrol. The Patrol from Dromore West County Sligo was ambushed at Culleens six miles south Dromore by tow parties of armed men separated by a few hundred yards. Two Constables leading the patrol were taken prisoner by one of the armed groups. Reinforcement were sent for and a wide area of the district was encircled by the Police and Military, as the gunmen escaped towards the mountains they shot both Constable dead, one of the gunmen was arrested. The dead men were:

  • Constable John King aged 36 a native of County Galway.

  • Thomas Higgins Aged 37  a native of County Galway.


On the 2nd of July 1921 Constable Francis Creedon was shot dead when a patrol of ten RIC men were ambushed near Tollow County Waterford. Heavy rifle and machine-gun fire was opened on the patrol. Constable Creedon was aged 41.



On the 2nd of July 1921 two RIC Policemen were killed when the Patrol they were part of was ambushed while investigating a fire on the railway line at Oola New Pallas County Limerick. A train carrying military good was hijacked and two of the wagons set on fire. A Police Patrol from Oola was coming along the line to investigate the incident when they were attacked with bomb and heavy rifle fire. The two dead Policemen were:

  • Sergeant Andrew Johnstone aged 28 and from Mountmellick County Laois.

  • Constable William E. Hill aged 20 and from 56 Cardia Street Liverpool.


On Friday the 24th of June 1921 two Auxiliaries were shot dead on Grafton Street Dublin. The two were:

  • Temporary Cadet Leonard George Applefort aged 27.
  • Temporary Cadet George Gerald Wames aged 29.
It was believed this operation was carried out by the 2nd Battalion Dublin Brigade I.R.A.


On Sunday the 26th of June 1921 Auxiliary Temporary Cadet William Frederick Hunt aged 35 was shot dead in the Mayfair Hotel, Lower Baggot Street Dublin. Hunt was with another Auxiliary and his wife having tea when the shooting happened, the other Auxiliary was injured by gunshots but managed to survive his injuries. Hunt had served as a Lieutenant in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.


On Sunday the 26th of June 1921 Constable Thomas Shanley aged 30 was returning from 10 o’clock Mass at Kildarrery Roman Catholic Church Cork in the company of Sergeant Patrick Ryan. A few yards from the church shots were fired at both policemen, constable Shanley fell mortally wounded and as he lay on the ground more shots were fired into his body, he died as the scene. Sergeant Ryan escaped with a minor wound to his wrist.


On Monday the 27th of June 1921 Constable Patrick Clarke aged 42 was shot dead while out walking alone at Cliffoney County Sligo by a party of armed men concealed in a shop, it was reported that his body was riddled with bullets.


On the 30th of June RIC Constable Joseph H. Bourke aged 21 was shot dead by another RIC Constable, William Sheehan, at Templemore County Tipperary. At the Court-martial inquiry into the death of Bourke medical evidence was given that Sheehan was mentally unfit and suffering from melancholia and was insane, the court-martial intimated that the accused would be dealt with in accordance with military regulations.


On Sunday evening the 3rd of July 1921 two RIC Constables were out for recreation about half a mile from Wicklow Town County Wicklow they were attacked by a number of armed men on bicycles. One of the Constables, John Fitzgerald aged 20 from Millstreet County Galway was mortally wounded and died at 6am the next morning in hospital.


On the 7th of July 1921 Constable Cyril F. H. Brewer aged 26 was shot and mortally wounded while returning to his lodgings, he was taken to Kilmallock Hospital County Limerick where he died from his wounds.


On the 7th of July 1921 retired RIC Sergeant Anthony Foody aged 48 was shot dead at Carrralavin County Mayo between Ballina and Balliconlon. The I.R.A. blamed Foody for the deaths of two of its members and a notice around Foody’s neck read Revenge for Dwyer and Ragg. Foody had recently purchased a farm near Bonniconlon County Mayo. He was attached to the County Roscommon force but had served some time in County Tipperary and was stationed at The Ragg when the Dwyer brothers were killed.


On the 8th of July 1921 Constable Timothy Joseph Galvin aged 26 was shot by four armed men while on traffic control duty in Belfast, he died later from his wounds.


On the 7th of July 1921 a group of R.I.C. men were bathing on the beach near Doolin County Clare were attacked by the I.R.A., one Constable died the next day as a result of gunshot wounds received during the attack. The dead Constable was:

  • Constable James R. Hewitt aged 29.


On the 10th of July 1921 R.I.C. Constable Alfred G. Needham was shot dead on O’Connell Street, Ennis, County Clare. Needham was talking to his wife, he had just married that morning. Needham was a native of London.


Alexander Clarke, a member of the RIC with thirty-four years’ service was shot dead on the 11th July 1921, the day of the Truce. A fifty-two year old married man with a grown up family, he was attacked by four men near his lodgings at Townsend Street, Skibbereen.

On Wednesday the 22nd of July two R.I.C. men were shot dead when a patrol was ambushed at Miltown County Galway. The patrol of four men was ambushed just outside the village. Sergeant James Murren aged 47 and Constable Ernest Day aged 23 were killed in the attack. Sergeant Murren was due to retire a week before the incident but a delay in receiving his papers resulted in him remaining on duty. Constable Day was a native of Nottingham England. 


A young Special Constable of the RIC shot himself dead on the 2nd of July 1921. The inquest into his dead heard that Michael Watters, aged 20 and a native of Leitrim shot himself at Dormore Police Barrack County Tyrone. He was found dead in the day room with his service rifle lying across his body, there was a discharged cartridge case in the rifle and blood on the muzzle, he had shot himself in the head.

Watters left a note addressed to Sergeant Walsh which was identified as his handwriting and read out at the inquest. “If I have caused you any trouble I am sorry for it. I believe I said something about someone that was not lawful to-night coming in on the door but on the other hand I don’t believe I did say it. Well you can tell my poor mother I am very sorry I did say it or any thing that might offend her or any of the family, but I plainly see there is no fair play in this country now. Force will rule the day so think of me when I am gone and try to think of me as a noble-hearted Irishman.” A postscript on the note state “I leave this world as I came into it – without an enemy. I am a soldier of the I.R.A., and I die the same.”

The jury found that Watters died as a result of a bullet wound self inflicted.


On Friday the 2nd of December 1921 in an attempted escape from Derry Jail two Police Constable on duty at the Jail were killed. A Police Patrol passing along Bishop Street spotted some men acting suspiciously in Bennett Street, the Patrol fired on the men and they fled. When the Police Patrol enter the Jail they found two Policemen, Constable Gorman and Constable Little, Gorman was trussed up with a rope and Little manacled with his own handcuffs. At first it was thought that both Constables had been knocked out with Chloroform as cotton wool soaked in liquid was found near the two Constables but on closer examination it was found that a type of poison had been used and both men were dead.


On the 13th of December 1921 RIC Sergeant John Maher was shot dead while standing on the Castle Green Ballybunion County Kerry. Sergeant Maher was standing with Constable Gallows when the Sergeant fell mortally wounded when hit in the breast and head by a large calibre bullet. Sergeant Maher was 24 years old.


On the 14th of December 1921 and R.I.C. Sergeant and a Constable were attacked by five gunmen as they left Cleary’s Hotel Kilmallock County Limerick shortly after 11pm. Both men had attended a Coursing meeting.  The dead man was Sergeant Thomas Enright, aged 31 and a native of Listowel County Kerry. He was married and had served in the British army during World War 1. The injured man, constable Timoney was taken to the Military Hospital Limerick, he recovered from his wounds.