| || |
Each Cadet involved in the defense of Trinity College during the Rising received a cup, pictured above, the names of those listed below are the Cadets involved in the defense of Trinity College and their subsequent military careers.
O.T.C. Officers who took part in the defence of the college.
Captain Earnest Henry Alton. B.A. 1896, M.A. 1899, Fellow 1905. Lieutenant Territorial Force O.T.C. Unattached List June 1914 Captain 1915,awarded the Military Cross January 1917.
Lieutenant Arthur Wyndowe Willert Baker, M.B. 1875, M.D. 1887, M. Dent. Sc. 1904 (master of dental science). Lieutenant Royal Army Medical Corps Territorial Force January 1916 Acting Captain 1916, mentioned in dispatches January 1917.
Cadets who took part.
- Cadet A. R. Aidin
- Cadet William Swirles Allardyce. Served in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve during WW1 and was killed in a collision while serving on H.M.S. "Negro." He was serving as a Surgeon Probationer when he died on the 21 of December 1916. He was 19 years old when he was killed. He was the Son of George and Janet Swirles Allardyce, of Advie, Grosvenor Road, Dublin. Educated at St. Andrew's College and Trinity College Dublin.
- Cadet Corporal Maurice Ashley. Killed in Action on the 23rd of November 1917. He was a Second Lieutenant with the 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Fusiliers and is remembered on the Cambrai Memorial, Nord, France. He was born in Essex U.K. of Irish Parents.
- Cadet Corporal D. H. Bailey.
- Cadet R. V. Barnes.
- Cadet D. D. Beckett.
- Cadet A. D. Bolton.
- Cadet G. W. Bowesman.
- Cadet William S. Boxwell Captain Royal Army Medical Corps. M. B. (Batchelor of Medicine) 1903, Medical Doctor 1912, went to France in 1917.
- Cadet R D Boyd*
- Cadet Allman Vizer Bridge, entered the College in 1913. Second Lieutenant with the 6th Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment, Gazetted Lieutenant 1916 Temporary Captain 1917. Wounded August 1916, March 1918 and November 1918. Awarded the Military Cross in February 1919 and Bar to the M. C. in March 1919.
- Cadet William Oliver Buchanan, entered Trinity Collage in 1913. 2nd Lieutenant with the Royal Garrison Artillery. Invalided in July 1917 joined the Labour Corps in August 1917, served in France 1917 to 1919, promoted to Lieutenant 1918.
Cadet Corporal R O’N Butler
- Cadet J N Callaghan.Cadet R St. G Chadwick.
- Cadet Chapman.*
- Cadet W A Cheeke
- Cadet C J F Chute
- Cadet W Collen
- Cadet Robert Henry Mulhall Corbett, entered Trinity in 1915, M.B. 1921. Served as a Surgeon Probationer with the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve. Injured while serving aboard H.M.S. ‘Raider’ Grand Fleet in September 1917.
- Cadet A E Cox.
- Cadet Sergeant J C Davison
- Cadet Ernest Richard Despard, entered Trinity in 1907. Gazetted 2nd Lieutenant Machine Gun Corps September 1916, 2nd Lieutenant E Battalion Tank Corps October 1916, promoted Lieutenant in 1917. Died of wounds on the 26th of September 1917 aged 30. He is buried in Dozinghem Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. He was the Son of Wm. William Despard, Or Donore, Mountrath, Queen's County (Laois).
- Cadet Sergeant Cyril Henry Dickinson. Entered Trinity Collage in 1895. Served with the Motor Service during WW1.
- Store Man P Dowling.
- Cadet H C Dundon
- Cadet James Edwards
- Cadet William Philp Elford. Entered Trinity in 1912. Surgeon Probationer Royal Navy H.M.S. ‘Laverock’, Surgeon 1918.
- Cadet W J Ferguson.
- Cadet Corporal G E Fitzgerald
- Cadet Sergeant G FitzGibbon
- Cadet W H Frazer* 2nd Lieutenant Royal Garrison Artillery, promoted to Lieutenant 1917.
- Cadet Corporal J A French* 7th Cadet Battalion May 1916, 2nd Lieutenant 3rd Royal Irish Rifles October 1918.
- Cadet Charles Henry Freeman. Entered Trinity Collage in 1916. 2nd Lieutenant 2nd Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment October 1916, promoted Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Godfrey Marcus Goodbody. Entered Trinity Collage in 1915. 2nd Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery March 1917.
- Cadet Gerald Griffin, 7th Cadet Battalion July 1916.
- Cadet Corporal Samuel Gurney, 7th Cadet Battalion July 1916. 2nd Lieutenant 6th Norfolk Regiment October 1916 promoted Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Harvey.
| ||Cadet Frederick Cyril Hoey, entered Trinity Collage in 1914. Royal Flying Corps Cadet School, Denham, November 1916. 2nd Royal Flying Corps killed in an accident on the 7th of June 1917. he is buried in Yatesbury (All Saints) Churchyard, Wiltshire, U.K. |
- Cadet Sergeant Reuben Harrison Howell 7th Cadet Battalion May 1917. 2nd Lieutenant 11th battalion The Royal Dublin Fusiliers August 1917. Died of wounds on the 29th of March 1918 while attached to the 2nd Battalion The Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He is buried in St Sever Cemetery, Seine-Maritime, France.
- Cadet S W Jamison
- Cadet Thomas Camney Jones-Nowland 7th Cadet Battalion August 1916.
- Cadet J K Johnston.
- Cadet G J L Jordan
- Cadet Sergeant Gerald FitzMaurice Keatinge, entered Trinity Collage in 1914, B A in 1919. Surgeon Sub-Lieutenant Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve November 1916 H.M.S. ‘Coppy.’
- Cadet Corporal William Keegan 7th Cadet Battalion May 1916. 2nd Lieutenant 4th Connaught Rangers September 1916
- Cadet Henry Brew Kennedy Bachelor of Arts 1911, Lieutenant Army Service Corps 1914, Captain and Adjutant December 1914, mentioned in dispatches January 1917 awarded the Military Cross June 1917.
- Cadet Corporal Patrick John Killeen* 7th Cadet Battalion July 1916.
- Cadet Sergeant C N Kough.
- Cadet King
- Cadet James Alastair Kirker entered Trinity Collage in 1914, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps April 1916, Lieutenant Royal Air Force 1918.
- Cadet Lane.
- Cadet James Murphy Lawther entered Trinity Collage in 1915, 2nd Lieutenant Machine Gun Corps February 1917, wounded in action, promoted Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Walter E Leslie* Private Army Service Corps June 1915, promoted 2nd Lieutenant August 1916 Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Eugene Joseph Long* 2nd Cav Cadet Squadron, 2nd Lieutenant South Irish Horse January 1917 promoted Lieutenant 1918 attached 7th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment.
- Cadet W P Lubbe.
- Cadet Charles James Lynn-Grant entered Trinity Collage in 1916, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Irish Fusiliers September 1917.
- Cadet Thomas Madill entered Trinity Collage in 1913, surgeon Probationer Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve 1916 H.M.S. ‘North Star.’
- Cadet H A Maginess
- Cadet Sargent D McC Mahony
- Cadet Joseph James Malone, entered Trinity College in 1915, 2nd Lieutenant The Royal Dublin Fusiliers September 1916. Killed in Action on the 16th of August 1917, remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Son of the late James and Margaret Malone. He was 19 years old when he was killed.
- Cadet Corporal Alfred H Matthews, 7th Cadet Battalion May 1916, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Dublin Fusiliers September 1916.
- Cadet Sargent Charles Benjamin Mein, entered Trinity College 1915, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Scots Fusiliers 1917, Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Ernest Thomas Molyneux, 2nd Lieutenant attached Royal Flying Corps September 1916, Lieutenant Royal Air Force April 1918.
- Cadet William Aloysius Moran, B. Reserve Brigadier Royal Horse Artillery July 1916, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Garrison Artillery (SR) October 1916, Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet H L Mooney.
- Cadet Theodore Conyngham Kingsmill Moore, Bachelor of Arts 1917, Royal Flying Corps May 1917, 2nd Lieutenant July 1917, invalided out February 1918.
- Cadet Norbert Murphy, 2nd Lieutenant South Irish Horse December 1916, Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Corporal Eric Richard Murray entered Trinity College in 1914, Surgeon Sub-Lieutenant August 1917 H.M.S. ‘Poppy’ N. Patrol.
- Cadet M E McBrien
- Cadet Martin Robert McCaig
- Cadet Thomas Stanislaus Michael McCann, entered Trinity College in 1914, Woolwich June 1916.
- Cadet Leslie Stuart McCullagh 2nd Lieutenant Royal Air Force April 1918.
- Cadet Corporal Frederick William McElroy, 2nd Lieutenant Tank Corps November 1916, died on the 16th of November 1918 aged 22 serving with the 7th Battalion Tank Corps, reached the rank of Captain. Awarded the Distinguish Service Order. Son of John and Mary Louisa McElroy, of 37, Princetown Road., Bangor, Co. Down. Buried St. Pol British Cemetery St. Pol-sur-Ternoise, Pas de Calais France.
- Cadet Corporal W N McFeely.
- Cadet James Neale (OTC) B Reserve Brigade Royal Horse Artillery, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery September 1917, awarded the Military Cross.
- Cadet Orr.
- Cadet Harold John O’Meara, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery May 1916 Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Corporal Bernard J. M. Peirce (7th Cadet Battalion OTC) 2nd Lieutenant 5th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers November 1916.
- Cadet Corporal John Peddar Phipps, Second Lieutenant I. A. June 1918.
- Cadet G H Powell
- Cadet P L Powell.
- Cadet Quarter Master Sergeant F W Price
- Cadet William Purcell (2nd Lieutenant Cadet Squadron O.T.C.) 2nd Lieutenant South Irish Horse December 1916.
- Cadet P F Quinlan
- Cadet James Sinclair Quinn Surgeon Probationer Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve July 1916 H.M.S. Raider.
- Cadet Frederick William Robertson Surgeon Sub-Lieutenant Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve November 1916 H.M.S. Medea .
- Cadet J H S Russell
- Cadet William James Alexander Russell Temporary Surgeon Sub-Lieutenant Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve November July 1918 H.M.S. Mastiff.
- Cadet Quarter Master Sergeant William Rutter (10th Infantry Cadet Battalion O.T.C.) 2nd Lieutenant 3rd North Staffordshire Regiment December 1916, Lieutenant 1918, Acting Captain and Adjutant Machine Gun Corps 1918.
- Cadet Demetrius Sarsfield Salazer (2nd Cavalry Cadet Squadron O.T.C.)
- Cadet Corporal Richard Talbot Scallan (B. Reserve Brigade Royal Horse Artillery O.T.C.) 2nd Lieutenant Royal Garrison Artillery November 1916. Killed 31st of May 1918 aged 27 Second Lieutenant R.G.A. attached 10th Prisoner of War Company. He was the Son of Francis Joseph and Marian Scallan, of Ludford Park, Dundrum, Co. Dublin. He is buried in Talence Communal Cemetery Extension, Gironde, France.
- Cadet Scalon
- Cadet W V Seddall
- Cadet W A Shannon
- Cadet Smith
- Cadet Corporal William N Spence Second Lieutenant Royal Engineers November 1916 Lieutenant 1918.
- Cadet Thomas Gerald Sutherland, entered Trinity in 1915, Sandhurst December 1916, 2nd Lieutenant Royal Munster Fusiliers January 1918 wounded October 1918.
- Cadet Sergeant R W Tweedy
- Cadet Corporal Walter Osborne Varian, entered Trinity 1911, 7th Cadet Battalion. 2nd Lieutenant Royal Munster Fusiliers April 1917, Killed in Action 30th March 1918 aged 23, he was the son of Isaac Stephen and Mary Fair Varian. B.Sc. M.O.D. (Trinity College, Dublin). He is buried/commemorated Longueval Road Cemetery, Somme, France.
- Cadet Walland
- Miss G Webb
- Cadet H B Weldon
- Cadet Corporal John Horace Weir (7th Cadet Battalion O.T.C.)
- Cadet Corporal R H Wheeler
- Cadet Sergeant Lionel Wigoder, B.A. 1916, R.A.F. M.S. 1918.
- Cadet Edward Francis Wilson Lieutenant Royal Air Force September 1918.