Font size control


On Friday the 9th of December at Thurles Railway Station county Tipperary a bomb was thrown at a large party of returning Internees from Ballykinlar Detention Camp. Declan Hurton (recorded in most newspapers as Hourton) was severely wounded, he died later from his injuries. He was a native of Ardmore County Waterford.  


On Saturday 11 February 1922 a gun battle at Clones Railway Station, County Monaghan, resulted in the deaths of four Ulster Special Constables and the local IRA commandant. A group of I.R.A. Volunteers attempted to ambush a party of Special Constabulary policemen, the I.R.A. entered the carriage and ordered the Specials to put their hand up, a shot rang out and I.R.A. Commandant Matthew Fitzpatrick fell dead. In the ensuing gun battle 4 of the Specials were killed.


I.R.A. Volunteer Daniel Byrne died from wounds received when a rifle he found in the abandoned Gorey, County Wexford R.I.C. Barracks exploded when he tried to fire the weapon. Byrne was from Coolnaleen, Ferns. He was 42 years old, married with three children.

On Wednesday the 19th of April 1922 two soldiers of the Anti Treaty army were killed at Kealkil West Cork, the dead men were named as:
  • Kelly of Bantry County Cork.
  • Cronin of Bantry County Cork.


On Wednesday the 26th of April 1922 Fianna Éireann Volunteer Henry O’Connor aged 22 died as a result of a gunshot wound received when a party of Fianna Éireann went to a house in the Ferns District of Enniscorthy County Wexford. The Fianna party were acting on information that a local Orangeman had firearms and ammunition at his address. The inquiry into O’Connor’s death heard that when the occupants of the house refused to open the door O’Connor began banging on the door, a shot was heard and O’Connor fell wounded. It was suggested that O’Connor was killed when he accidently discharged the rifle when banging on the door, the medical examiner stated he believed this to be impossible due to the entry point of the bullet. The Jury at the inquiry held by Officers of the I.R.A. Executive at Enniscorthy found that O’Connor had died as a result of a bullet accidently discharged from a rifle.

On the 26th of April I.R.A. Commandant Michael O’Neill died as a result of wounds received when he was engaged in raiding the house of a local loyalist in Ballygroman County Cork. O’Neill was attempting to take a car belonging to Thomas Hornibrook, the I.R.A. entered Hornibrook’s house in an attempt to get the magneto (the magneto was a part which could be removed from the car to prevent it being stolen). The three men in the house at the time who refused to give the Magneto to the I.R.A. were Thomas and his son Samuel Hornibrook and his son in law Herbert Woods. O’Neill was from Maraboro, Kilbrittain County Cork. A local inquest held into the killing of O’Neill found he had been ‘wilfully murdered in the execution of his lawful duty', Herbert Woods was found to be responsible for firing the fatal shots. For more on this event see The Killings in Ballyroman in the Civilians Killed in War of Independence page.

On the 8th of May 1922 eight or nine men called to the house of Samuel J. Milligan aged 18, a member of the “B” Specials, who lived at Castleecauifield County Tyrone. Milligan died as a result of wounds revived in the attack. After the attack the body of one of the attackers, 19 year old Owen Mcgill, was found near the scene, he had a shotgun and two Mills Bombs. The Commissioner at the Inquest into his death expressed the view that Magill had been forced to take part in the attack, Mcgill died from bullet wounds to the heart.

On Friday the 12th of May 1922 Patrick Tubridy (Tubriddy) aged 18 and a member of Fianna Éireann died in Barrington’s Hospital Limerick from a bullet wound in the throat, he was admitted to the hospital on Thursday. An inquest into his death returned a verdict of accidental death due to the accidental discharge of a comrade’s revolver at Frederick Street Barracks. The inquest was held at Barrington’s Hospital Limerick where Tubridy was taken after the accident.

On Monday morning of the 29th of May 1922 a member of the Anti Treaty forces was shot dead by the Royal Irish Constabulary at Gormanston County Meath. With a party of other the victim had been waiting for a train at the station when challenged by the police man, a gun battle ensued in which the victim was shot, he was named as:
  • Staff Captain James Flanagan.


On the 20th of June William Thornton, C Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Northern Division, was shot dead when 4 men from C Company was sent to burn down the Cotton Oil Store, Glouchester Street, Belfast. The Specials were to occupy the warehouse as a barracks. Thornton and another entered the building and were in the process of setting the fire when they were surprised by a large force of Specials. During the ensuing gun battle Thornton became trapped in a window and was riddled with bullets. Thornton served as a Lance-Corporal with the British Army, he was discharged on the 24th of May 1921. He was born in 1899.


On the 30th of June William Spillane Lieutenant, G Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Cork Brigade, was accidently shot by a comrade, he was 21 years old and the son of James and Hannah Spillane of Bandon Road Cork. He had served as Captain with the 5th Cork Brigade during the War of Independence.  He is buried in the Republican plot, Saint Finbarr’s Cemetery Cork.