irishmedals.org
Font size control

Ulster Volunteer Force Medical and Nursing Corps

In 1915 the Ulster Volunteer Force set up a hospital in a building called Exhibition Hall adjoining Queens University in South Belfast. The hospital cared for causalities of the First World War. Several smaller branch hospitals were set up throughout Northern Ireland's scenic landscaping during the war.

Medical staff were awarded Prolificacy Medals for attaining various grades of medical proficiency. During the course of WW1 the UVF Medical and Nursing hospitals cared for over 28,000 service men. The medals were manufactured by Sharman Neill Ltd Belfast.

Staff at the hospitals also wore a badge pictured left to show they were working as part of the war effort.

Staff at the hospitals also wore a badge pictured left to show they were working as part of the war effort.


A similar badge to the one above, this one was worn around the neck on a chain or could be hung from a watch chain.

Uniformed staff also wore buttons depicting the name and crest of the hospital.